Friday, February 12, 2010

February: Siegen, Germany- the Apollo Theater

The Apollo Theater in Siegen was the newest setting we performed in on this European tour - the oldest being the Oratoire du Louvre in Paris. The Apollo was once the Apollo cinema, which was refurbished and reopened in 2007 as a concert hall. Our performance was sold out a while ago to the most vociferous audience we've had on this tour. You should have heard the whistling, hollering and stamping which went on throughout! A fantastic way to end the tour - we think we rose to the occasion, and were happy to respond in kind to all that energy coming at us with three encores.

The Apollo has a very contemporary and relevant feel to it. It is part of a shopping mall - which probably grew up around the old movie theater. You can see into the building from the outside which makes it look very inviting. Before the concert previews of coming attractions are projected on a screen. Good idea!

1 comment:

  1. I heard of your ensemble but hadn't taken the time to listen. That all changed last week. I'm a fan of ancient choral music, and the Tallis Scholars is what I've leaned upon. Then I heard "Ave Maria a 6" on Magnificat. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. Your sound is so warm, so inviting, so ethereal. I get lost in your vocals, and it makes great background music when I'm at the computer because I don't understand what you're singing so I don't focus on the words.

    I was very excited to see that you'll be coming to Omaha in May! YAY!!! I will make every effort to be there and hear you in a much better format - LIVE!

    Thank you for carrying on the tradition Louis Botto started so many years ago, and thank you for introducing new fans to your art.

    ReplyDelete